2010年12月22日 星期三

Cooling Pet Beds for Hot Summer Nights

My beagle absolutely loves our backyard. We have one of those doggie doors built into our sliding glass patio door, so Riley has the run of the place and almost always chooses to stay outside when the weather is nice. He also enjoys the sun, which isn't a problem in the spring or fall, but can be a bit worrisome in the summer when temperatures routinely reach the 90 degrees or more. I have tried everything to get him to take shelter in the shade, including putting his dog house under a tree, and putting big sun umbrellas in strategic locations around the yard, but he would rather nap in the sun than anywhere else. Then I saw some cooling pet beds at the store one day and decided to try one. It works perfectly!
Apparently, cooling pet beds have been around for a while, but I just never really noticed them before. There are different types out there, but the one I bought is pretty simple to use. It's basically just a mat that I fill with water. The bed has some kind of patented system that somehow gets the water circulating enough that it remains cool even when out in the hot sun. These cooling pet beds do not require electricity to work, though I think there are some models that do need to be plugged in. Because of Riley's tendency to wander all over the yard looking for the best place to nap, I figured it would be best not to be tied down by a plug.
Anyway, at first it did take Riley a while to get used to the bed. The unstable surface kind of bothered him for a few days, but with a lot of coaxing (and a few demonstrations), he finally climbed on and allowed himself to relax. Now he loves the thing and can't get enough of it. I wish I'd discovered cooling pet beds a long time ago!
How do I know the bed is working? Well, Riley used to pant almost constantly and frequently tossed and turned in his sleep. It was clear that he wasn't comfortable, yet he still insisted on sleeping in the sun. But now that he has one of these cooling pet beds, he pants a lot less than before and his sleep is a lot more restful. Plus, his body (at least the part that is in contact with the bed) is cool to the touch, which is a further indication that the bed is working. Best of all, he likes the bed so much now that I've been able to put it in a shady area of the yard so he's no longer in direct sunlight all the time.
Cooling pet beds are a great way to keep your pooch nice and cool even during the hottest months. As I said, there are different models available, including ones that plug in, sit a few inches off the ground, or contain a reusable "ice sheet", but I think I chose the best one. And more importantly, Riley agrees with me!

沒有留言:

張貼留言